How well do you know the Alaskan Malamute? Impress your friends with these fun facts!
- The Alaskan Malamute is the largest Arctic sled dog.
- The breed is named after the Mahlemut, an Inuit tribe from Alaska’s Kotzebue Sound area.
- The Alaskan Malamute is a cousin of the Samoyed of Russia, the Eskimo dogs of Greenland and Labrador, and the Siberian Husky.
- Unlike most dog coats, Alaskan Malamute fur has no odor.
- Alaskan Malamutes have a distinctive “woo-woo-woo” way of talking to their humans.
- Champion Malamutes can pull more than 1,000 pounds.